I hear a song and see a dance.

January 4, 2009

Scattered thoughts on a page about brokeness.


There is so much pain out there. I remember last summer when I was out at camp in Colorado, Molly really challenged us with the passage in 2 Kings 4 when Elisha prays for the Shunamite woman's son after he had died and he comes back to life.

"When Elisha reached the house, there was the boy lying dead on his couch. He went in shut the door on the two of them and prayed to the Lord. Then he got on the bed and lay upon the boy, mouth to mouth, eyes to eyes, hands to hands. As he stretched himself out upon the boy, the boy's body grew warm. Elisha turned away and walked back and forth across the room and then he got on the bed and stretched out upon him again. The boy sneezed seven times and then opened his eyes."
2 Kings 4:32-35

I have noticed alot of Christians don't want to go to those places and be entirely intimate in a hard situation. What am I going to say to this person who's hurting? What if they ask a question about God I can't answer? What if I "get dirty" in the process. I think this passage expells alot of that. I get so frustrated with people who are not willing to "get dirty" or dive into others' pain. There is so much pain in the world that needs to be addressed like Elisha did. He laid on top of him and prayed to the Lord on his behalf. People NEED this type of love. It's hard to jump into others pain but if we don't who will? Yes it hurts me to the point of tears that rack my whole body sometimes. My heart breaks for people who are hurting and in pain and I wish I could take it away but I can bring them to Jesus who will ultimately use the pain in their life to draw them unto Himself and to shape and change them. That is so hard in the middle of it but I would not change the hard times that I have been through because of how much closer they have brought me to Jesus.

So who is it in your life right now that you need to go in, shut the door and cry out to the Lord for and dive into their pain with them?

1 comment:

Dave said...

dah! thanks for posting sister! I have been challenged greatly by this guy!